Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Dad chooses a favorite child in blog.

LeaLea Posts: 1,549 balls deep
edited September 2012 in Debate & Discourse
http://www.myfoxal.com/story/19635804/daddy-blogger-stirs-controversy-after-admits-he-has-favorite-child

Basically, this guy says that his oldest son is his favorite because he can relate to him more. I'm not sure how I feel about this...I don't have kids yet, but I treat my little cousins like they are my own. I love both of them to death, and there are certain things about each of them that I like, but I could easily say that I favor one over the other by just a little bit. It's not something I would ever say out loud, but it doesn't change the way I feel. I think even as a parent, it'd be hard not to choose favorites...We all choose favorites in one way or another in pretty much everything we do. I would never admit to my children that I had a favorite, but I think picking a favorite is pretty much inevitable.

That's just one side though, and I'm not a parent yet, so this might not be true. I have talked to my mom about this several times, and she always says that she has favorite things about both my sister and I, and things she can't stand about us. If she has a favorite, she won't admit it. My grandmother, however, makes it obvious that I'm her favorite, which makes things somewhat awkward for everyone... and I feel bad when she does that around my sister because I know it upsets her.

What do you guys think about "favorites?" This is something I've always been curious about, so I'm interested to see what you guys say/think.

Comments

• MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,484 spicy boy
    I'd hate both my kids equally.
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    The oldest and his favorite is only 5. Shouldn't the guy wait until the other one is in the same ballpark?
    image Photobucket
  • LeaLea Posts: 1,549 balls deep
    That's kinda what I thought too.
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,439 moneytalker
    Kids have different personalities and you connect with them differently. I don't know if it so much that one is a "favorite" over another, you just might have a better connection with one child than the other. One might be less high maintenance or attention seeking than another. Some personalities just dont mix as well and the relationship is more strained. Douchey move to publicly post it though.
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    That's kind of what he meant. There's just one kid he gets a long with better.
  • LeaLea Posts: 1,549 balls deep
    I guess in the end, it all really depends on how you define the word favorite. In talking about choosing one child over another, the word favorite just has really bad connotations that go along with it.
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,007 master of ceremonies
    even if you do have a favorite child it's cruel to the children to let them know that
  • Me_Me_ Posts: 13,701 salt miner
    Jobe said:

Kids have different personalities and you connect with them differently. I don't know if it so much that one is a "favorite" over another, you just might have a better connection with one child than the other. One might be less high maintenance or attention seeking than another. Some personalities just dont mix as well and the relationship is more strained. Douchey move to publicly post it though.

^this..well said

• MetalSSlayerMetalSSlayer Posts: 6,164 destroyer of motherfuckers
    My sister is an inconsiderate bitch, so it's kind of obvious that I'm the favored child in my family.
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,794 spicy boy
    my girlfriend's mom openly prefers her. to the point where when my girlfriend goes to stay with her mom, her brother goes ahead and plans to sleep in the living room because their mom wants my girlfriend to sleep in his bed. it's alarming to me. i have a brother and a sister and my parents always went out of their way to never prefer one of us over the other, even when my sister went almost a decade where she blamed my dad for everything that was going wrong in her life. with my 2 kids now, i can't prefer either of them. i love them both. i will, however, admit that i love them differently. that's mainly because i have a boy and a girl and the girl is still a newborn though.
  • laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
    i like my second born more than my first born.......
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    laurjohn2 said:

• mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    This is why the second child should always be killed
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • SandyVaginaSandyVagina Posts: 618 just the tip
    I'm the youngest of 5 kids and I was Daddy's Little Girl
    my older brother and sisters never could understand how I got along with him so well.
    they were totally scared of him. I guess I got the mellowed out version of him after he learned how to raise kids over 35 years.

posting that shit on FB is fucked up and childish. sounds like the dude has daddy issues of his own
    laurjohn2 said:

why?

are you blatant about it?
    SATAN said:

laurjohn2 said:

why?

are you blatant about it?
    My first born is very high energy and very tiring. I can't do something simple like going to a store without him acting up and causing some sort of scene. He is always do things to endanger himself. Doesn't listen to the word no. I have spoken with a couple of Behaviorists and Psychologists about him. Nothing works and i am just drained. He doesn't have any mental condition that causes the issues. I had one psychologist tell me he is just an asshole

Am i blatant about it? sometimes. when i ask him to do something and he doesn't, then i ask the baby to do it, and the baby does it, i do give him shyt
    :-?

that's exactly how my girlfriend would describe my son. i don't see it that way though. i think he's just understimulated
    i'll put it another way. sometimes me and my wife need to pair off and each take one kid, while the other watches the second kid. We both always pick the second born because he is easier, and sometimes fight over it
  • TigerTiger Posts: 2,116 balls deep
    Out of my 2, my youngest (11), makes me laugh the most, and also does good in school, and doesnt lie to me, and does what he's told....

His 15 year old brother on the other hand 8-|
    The day you need a gun and don't have one, may be your last.

• FLATFLAT Posts: 60,558 spicy boy
    i wasn't the greatest kid growing up but my brother is a douche bag so i would say i'm the favorite