Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Mastodon, Grand Rapids interesting news.

Comments

• drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I never knew he smoked crack
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,620 master of ceremonies
    yes sir. smoked crack and was addicted to pain pills.

• AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    mastodon are awesome
    That article on MetalSucks isn't quite the most accurate description of what went down...
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Is there a reason the Volcom logo is on a Mastodon shirt? I must be missing something here.
    I love winning with women
    This is a Volcom sponsored tour.
    edited May 2010
    "Brent seemed off from the beginning, staggering a bit and not stepping up to sing his lines. I’m pretty sure he damn near collapsed at least once. Troy once ran to the mic, nearly pushing Brent over, in an effort to sing Brent’s lines. Brent continued to throw in wild solos where there should be words, throwing his guitar around and running off stage.While there seemed to be major technical issues, mostly with his monitor from what I could tell, he became less and less involved in the performance to the point where he even stopped playing and simply yelled in to the mic something around the lines of “I love heavy metal…..No I don’t.” Even more telling, he managed to screw up the intro to a song (that I can’t remember right now) to the point where Brann was looking through his cymbals in hopes of figuring out what was happening. He eventually completely lost his composure, throwing down a mic stand and storming off stage.

After roughly a 20 minute delay consisting of the keyboard player playing the same three notes for 10 minutes, and then realizing issues and perhaps showing more professionalism than I thought possible for a stand-in, started changing things up, trying different chords and rhythms, anything to try to keep the crowd from losing their interest completely. The band finally re-took the stake, sans Brent, thanked the audience for being there, and asked if we wanted one more. Bringing out another mic stand, Bill sang backups to ”Blood and Thunder” and gracefully let the show die out into the night with no trace of Brent."

via MetalScuks.

So this was not accurate Wine?
    edited May 2010
    In order to try and make this clear, I'm going to probably have to do a similar wall of text thing.

The entire night, I could see Brent standing on the side of the stage. During Bison, during Baroness, during High on Fire, and the entire night, I could see him drinking (not to mention he had a hella fine chick at his side.) You could tell during High on Fire the guy was already smashed, he was staggering a bit, throwing the horns more often than most would deem appropriate, among other things. The second Mastodon got on stage though, you knew he wasn't alright. He was staggering, barely able to keep his balance, and during a solo in Oblivion, he nearly took a nosedive off the stage. He obviously had forgotten most of his lyrics, and Troy ran to the mic and performed most of his lyrics in Oblivion. After Quintessence however, they totally started rocking. His improvs became solid, and the band seemed to gel a bit better. However, once the Last Baron started, it went downhill. This is where the "I love heavy metal..............................wait no I don't." incident happened. He was improving about half of the time, and towards the end, he unstrapped his guitar, still playing, wailing it around. I honestly thought he was gonna go Pete Townsend on that shit. At the end, he (guitar still unstrapped) picked up Troy's mic, threw it to the ground, and walked offstage. After an intermission too long for it to be intentional, they came back and performed Crusher Destroyer. Excited and ready to hear March of the Fire Ants, a song I've yet to see in my 5 (?) times seeing them. At the end of Crystal Skull however, he walked offstage again. Then Troy, Brann and Bill all had a little talk, which led to Troy going to the mic and talking to the crowd a little bit. If you've seen Mastodon, you know they never do this. He said they're gonna do one more, and then did Blood and Thunder. About half way through the song though, I noticed Brent on the side of the stage, playing with the band, and his parts very audible. I'm not angry at the band as of right now, I just want to know what the fuck happened, then if it's possible, I'd like to see the band make it up to the fans. I was ready for another half hour of old Mastodon. Still would go see them again though, hands down, I just hope Brent Hinds is still playing the axe.
    Post edited by drinkwine732 on
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,695 mod
    "Excited and ready to hear March of the Fire Ants, a song I've yet to see in my 5 (?) times seeing them, At the end of Crystal Skull however, he walked offstage again."

Bianca will have a field day unless you fix that lol.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    I'm not using semicolons to fix my comma splices...
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,695 mod
    You don't have to. <_>
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    Correct it for me, I see nothing big. I did forget to use a period though, if that's what you were talking about.
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Weird... and yes, each time I've seen Mastodon, they've been very rooted and concentrated in what they are doing. I wonder what will become of Brent...
    I love winning with women
  • sbs_willsbs_will Posts: 18,648 salt miner
    huh, thats weird. I dont like the direction this is going.........

But I SINCERELY hope I can get tickets before they sell out for AIC/Mastodon
    In case there was any doubt how genuine he was about hoping they don't sell out, he capitalized the word.

jokes will, jokes.
  • sbs_willsbs_will Posts: 18,648 salt miner
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
  • Alec29Alec29 Posts: 3,864 juggalo
    Brent seemed really preoccupied on Wednesday. He would normally hang with the fans and crew before and after the show but on Wednesday he was withdrawn and tended to stay either in the green room or on the bus and did zero aftershow stuff. Bill seemed to be angry that he had to get off the bus and play a show.
    Once they got onstage, however, they tore it up and were consumate professionals.