Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Mastodon, Grand Rapids interesting news.

sbs_willsbs_will Posts: 18,648 salt miner
edited April 2010 in Off Topic
I got both of these from Metalsucks. I am SO PISSED that I didnt get to go to this show last night, and I was all set to go.
Grrrrrrr........
anyway, first of all, Bill Kelliher has been hospitalized, but the tour is continuing without him, with members from Baroness filling in for him on some songs.

heres the one about the hospitalization: http://www.metalsucks.net/2010/04/29/mastodons-bill-kelliher-hospitalized/

and heres the one about Grand Rapids

Despite guitarist Bill Kelliher’s hospitalization, the show must go on: the band made their scheduled tour stop in Grand Rapids, MI last night, but Bill Kelliher did not perform. MS readers Matt Gaipa and Jared Lucas reported that both Peter Adams and John Baizley from Baroness each performed two songs with the band — “Oblivion” and “Divinations,” then “Quintessence” and “The Czar,” respectively — after which Mastodon finished out Crack the Skye without the assistance of a second guitar player. I’d forgotten that Mastodon are essentially a five-piece these days with a touring keyboard player in tow, so while I’m sure the keys helped fill some of the cracks I’m also sure that Kelliher’s presence was missed (especially during “Sleeping Giant,” if they played it… his delayed guitar intro is essential!). Regardless, both Matt and Jared said that Mastodon absolutely killed it.

Big ups to the boys in Baroness for learning those songs on such short notice and filling in. I wonder if, as the tour goes on and if Kelliher still isn’t able to rejoin the band, the members of Between the Buried and me and Valient Thorr will also chip in towards a full set? That’d be a pretty special thing to see, albeit coming at the cost of someone’s health (which makes it a lot less cool).

No word yet from the Mastodon camp or anyone connected to Bill. Get well soon, dude.

Comments