Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,695 mod
    3-11-10 - Detroit, MI - Blondies - Kreator

There were two local openers at this show in addition to the original lineup. Due to class, I got there just as the second opener was finishing up, around 6:45 (Doors were at 6). They seemed to be an odd band anyway, so oh well. I met up with Chuck, bought this pretty sweet Kreator tour shirt, then proceeded to the front of the stage, where I would remain for the whole show.

Lazarus AD - I'm glad I didn't miss these guys. They were the ideal opener for this tour. Nice modern-style thrash with good energy. The only real problem I had with them is the same problem I had with their debut album: after a while the songs pretty much sound the same. But it was a good band to get everyone warmed up, and I'm happy to support a band from the Midwest. I don't have a complete set, but songs they played included Absolute Power, Last Breath, Thou Shall Not Fear, and Revolution. 8/10

Evile - This was their first time touring the States, and it was pretty clear right from the beginning that these guys were enjoying every moment of the ride. As much energy as Lazarus had, Evile had more. They were awesome from beginning to end, and I enjoyed their music more than Lazarus. I didn't pay much attention to them before, but I will now. Another reason for me to go to Killfest. 9/10

Setlist:
    Infected Nation
    We Who Are About To Die
    Thrasher
    Time No More
    Bathe In Blood
    Enter The Grave

Nachtmystium - The odd ball on this tour. I had heard a little bit from these guys and enjoyed it, so I hoped it would carry over to their live performance, and for the most part it did. I thought they sounded pretty tight musically, psychadelic effects and all. The only thing that disappointed me was the vocals, or the lack thereof. You couldn't hear either mic the entire set. I don't know if it was intentional or what. Either way, it wasn't a bad performance, I would give them another chance live before making judgements. 7/10

Setlist:
    Your True Enemy
    Ghosts of Grace
    Life of Fire
    Hellish Overdose
    Assassins

Voivod - This is where things really started getting crazy. Voivod was awesome and really worked the crowd. The vocalist and bassist, especially, went crazy for the whole set. They were just a really fun band. I admit that their music isn't the easiest kind of thrash or prog metal to get into, but their stage presence definitely enhanced the entire performance. And how can you not love a Pink Floyd cover? I would like to see them headline sometime. I believe the setlist is right, Chuck will have to confirm since he got it lol. 9/10

Setlist:
    Voivod
    Ravenous Medicine
    Ripping Headaches
    Nothingface
    Overreaction
    Tribal Convictions
    Global Warning
    Missing Sequences
    Astronomy Domine

JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    I really want to hear Unearth open with Aries.
    I love winning with women
    Kreator - Wow. And I thought the crowd was crazy for Voivod. The place went absolutely insane for these guys, and for good reason. They slayed from beginning to end. Mille was full of energy and really got into it with the crowd. One of the most energetic metal frontmen I've seen. Set-wise, you couldn't ask for much more from a 25th anniversary setlist. Tracks from Endless Pain, Hordes of Chaos, and everything in between. The last four songs, in particular, made me very happy. Demon Prince is one of my favorites off the new album, When The Sun Burns Red is an amazing album opener, and Flag of Hate and Tormentor are classics. They played it all as close to perfection as you can get, and Mille's voice is incredible live. These guys proved why they are legends, with my sore knees and neck serving as lasting reminders. I can't wait to see them again. 10/10

I had a chance to get a setlist and failed, but managed to get lucky enough to get a drumstick. There were no set changes from the previous shows.

Setlist:
    Choir of the Damned (short)
    The Pestilence
    Hordes of Chaos
    Phobia
    Enemy of God
    Impossible Brutality
    Endless Pain
    Pleasure to Kill
    Terrible Certainty
    Extreme Aggression
    Coma of Souls
    Servant in Heaven – King in Hell
    The Patriarch
    Violent Revolution
    Demon Prince
    ---------
    When the Sun Burns Red
    Flag of Hate/Tormentor

Amazing show, highly recommended and essential for thrash fans. The venue was awesome as well, can't wait for Killfest there.
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,621 master of ceremonies
    Evile is the shit and deserves more love on these boards >_<
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 10,361 balls deep
    Lazarus AD ftw
    Mayhem Denver '08, Albuquereque '09/'10/'11 2012 ????????? peyton manning broncos Pictures, Images and Photos
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
  • ComptonAssBertoComptonAssBerto Posts: 3,899 just the tip
    Hey JL, can you describe this tour shirt and/or post up a picture of it?
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I wish I could go to this but I'm going to Killfest instead. Better lineup imo.

I'll catch Kreator next time
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
    Killfest is gonna be epic
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I'd rather go to Kreator than Killfest...
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    ^ mite attend bof
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Jake, I cant confirm anything because I lost it in the parking lot lol. But were your legs hurting like a motherfucker from the stage? I thought my legs were going to be severed. But the show was amazing. Mille was right in front of me the whole time, I got to touch his guitar like three times.

My takings:
    Voivod setlist
    A pick during Kreators set that I grabbed off the mic myself lol
    Then the drumstick from Kreator. I had to climb on the stage to get it since we all knocked it back.

I'm still pissed I lost Kreator's setlist.
    image Photobucket
    As for Killfest, I really, really want to go...but its looking sketchy.
    image Photobucket
    Same for me. I want to got to Kreator and Killfest, but they're both in Tucson at inconvenient times.
    I'm so pissed... and if my professors don't stop being paper assigning whores, then I may...

*gulp*
    Have to miss Megadeth
    "Hey JL, can you describe this tour shirt and/or post up a picture of it?"

I'll work on that ASAP. They had four different shirts, three of them were Hordes of Chaos shirts and one was the Pleasure To Kill cover.

"Jake, I cant confirm anything because I lost it in the parking lot lol. But were your legs hurting like a motherfucker from the stage?"

Oh, ok. I know they played nine songs, so I'm pretty sure the set's correct. And yeah, my knees and lower thighs are definitely bruised....
    Oh nevermind I read that wrong. I still have the voivod one.
    image Photobucket
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    "^ mite attend bof"

GRRRRRRRRR. My last weeknight show of the school year is gonna be on Monday...
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page