Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Drones

Me_Me_ Posts: 13,701 salt miner
Phantom 3 quadcopter...any thoughts or experiences with it?

Comments

• Number1RamsFanNumber1RamsFan Posts: 9,355 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I bet it would be pretty cool to shoot it down
  • Me_Me_ Posts: 13,701 salt miner
    If I was an idiot with it then yeah..I would shoot down a drone over my house in a second..I'll make up my mind before midnight If I'm gonna get it....The Advance 3 has a better camera and more range...leaning that way
  • Stoned_CatzStoned_Catz Posts: 34,915 jayfacer
    dont listen to that nigga he aint even got a backyard 

[-(

blue turbins

From Those Fishes - I Fingered An Old Bitch (i got Aids on my finger)

how many acres

[-(

blue turbins

• Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,439 moneytalker
    Phantoms are pretty dope. My buddy has one, but I have only a little experience with it. You probably won't be disappointed with it. I bought a racing drone. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
    how many acres
    I don't know. One maybe. It's not big enough to shoot guns without my neighbors calling the cops but at least I got one.
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    They're completely useless if you jus usin em as a toy. My boy has a nice ass one, it was like $1500, but he's a videographer, he shoots music videos for a living, so it's more than worth it for him. We shot a lot of scenes for my video usin the drone. As impressed as I was by it, I'd never blow the money on it myself. If you have no practical use for it, buy one of the (Literal) toy ones for like $100.
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,403 spicy boy
    How is it useless if you have fun using it?

I was at the park and they guy was learning how to fly a 70k dollar drone. The guy who owned it was his instructor or something. Anyways it was a pretty dope set up.  Obviously crazy expensive but it looked like it was something fun to learn how to do. it looked something similar to this. 

dr.jpg 45.8K
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Because without usin it for camera purposes you're literally jus flyin an RC helicopter basically.
  • Me_Me_ Posts: 13,701 salt miner
    Phantom 3 advanced 700 bucks...Just for fun and to film the area a little..birds eye view I guess...Pretty much just something to do....Still haven't got it yet...Discussing it with the boss...Maybe I will be surprised This Christmas..I also got The Estes model rocket set for my little guy. Loved those things when I was a kid.
    They are fun as hell to play with regardless of what you plan to use it for. Even most of the cheap one are a decent value for learning to fly. You can get a little micro drone for $10 -$30 and start with that and work your way up. It's dope as hell to be the eye in the sky.
    We got one for one of the boys similar to the one on the left. It crashed once and never flew straight again.Crashed again and broke. Total waste of money. My father in law also flies rc planes. Let him try my drone out and it flew away on him :))

The first one you posted looks OK but it's hard to say. The beauty of my racing drone is that every part on it can be replaced by swapping components. The phantoms are pretty similar in that you can get all of the extra parts you need for it. With a lot of the cheaper ones once a plastic part is broken you have to hope you can fix it on your own without disrupting the weight balance.

I had a lot of fun playing with $30 micro drones in the office at work. Getting it from Walmart,  you can exchange it if it malfunctions or breaks. It was a great starting place to learn to fly them. Cheap, but challenging to fly without being impossible. a blast to play with a work if you can get away with it.

Flying outside in the wind is much harder. Cheaper drones (the ones I have tried) lack the oomph needed to compensate and will drift and be harder to control, where as the phantoms will hover in place all day long. They really are the gold standard right now because they just fly smooth as can be. Very easy to use. It's what most people should get if imo if they want to get into the hobby and can afford it. A racing drone is cheaper to get into (starts at around $200) but by the time you get the extra batteries, propellers and everything else I ended up in the same price neighborhood anyway. I think mine is more fun to fly, but it also is harder to fly, gets broken more often etc so I don't run it as much as I might a phantom because it's gonna cost money every time I fly it. The phantoms are low stress and reliable.

Altitude hold is nice to have, as is gps and auto home (watching you drone fly away sucks lol) 

I don't really have anything specific to recommend. I've heard good shit about some of the hubsan drones though. They are a company that has both high end drones and "toy" drones. Because they are also in the higher end market I suspect that their toy models are going to be a better quality than someone who is just trying to cash in on the market.
    got this for my niece xmas

[-(

blue turbins