Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

I need some input

mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
edited June 2012 in Off Topic
I have a choice to make. I have already decided to go to school. My work will pay for it 100%. Now I have to decide what I want to do and where to go. I can go to any of the local schools. University of cincinnati, Xavier, northern Kentucky university, gateway, Cincinnati state and I think a couple others. I have to go for something based on the company I work for. So it would have to be something like engineering, business, accounting, ect. I am having trouble figuring out exactly what I want to do. I've always wanted to go for engineering but I didn't take a bunch of the classes back in high school that I would need and would have to take them now. I also know absolutely nothing about college so any help, advice, or suggestions would be appreciated.

I also have to maintain work hours which are 48 a week minimum.
You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!

Comments

• HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    good luck man, I went to community college. The first few semesters were just like regualr math and english and shit like that and 1 prep class for what youre going for. After that you focused more on your field. I say go for it bro! go for engeneering, youre not just going to be thrown into the hardest class, you'll get like a advisor that will help you out and shit and place you where you need to be placed. Good luck though man! i'm about to go back and take more classes too, Bricklayin got me layed off and collecting checks for madd long. But good luck bro, if i were you i would go for what I want to do. Dont let nothing hold you back, you'll be alright, you seem like a dude with a good head on your shoulders! college classes will start easy though man. you'll be alright! good luck homie!
  • MetalSSlayerMetalSSlayer Posts: 6,164 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited June 2012
    I'm biased toward engineering since that's what I'm in now, and I had no intention of doing it when I started college so I had no background either other than the basic required math classes in high school. That only went to Pre-Calc, which I ended up retaking once I got to college anyway.

No matter what you pick though the hardest part will be trying to balance it while working 48 hours a week, so you may want to take commute time into the equation and look at whichever school is closest to you. Having to commute an hour as opposed to 10 minutes will make a difference.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    All of the schools listed are within 15 minutes of me.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • TortureQueenTortureQueen Posts: 805 just the tip
    edited June 2012
    the hours you have to work along with school will be difficult but still doable it just may take you a longer time to get your degree than someone who has the ability to go full time. there is excellent money in engeneering and business is always a safe route to go because it can cover a wide range of options once your done.
    How many hours a week is it to be considered a full time student? For some reason I was thinking it was 12.
    Yeah I have no idea how credit hours work
  • fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
    go with the engineering. i've been considering going back to school to become a mechanical engineer like i was originally going to take before i decided on architect and hated it.
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I would say chose engineering because it is the most practical, however im incredibly biased.
    yeah plus engineers usually get to go out into the field too to see how things are coming along. the other 2, business or accounting your pretty much stuck to a desk.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Engineering is great, especially if your employer is payin for it.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    I talked to a couple of the engineers at work and my wife helped me decided I think I want to look into going to Uc for an engineering degree.
    what kind of engineering degree? There's a pretty big difference between the different fields.
    I'll have to figure all that out like I said I'm going in completely blind this is just the beginning I'm trying to get all the info
    okay so here is my 10 mile view of the different sciences

1. Electrical engineering - The best. You learn how to create electronics or make power
    2. Computer Science - it's pretty good. You learn how to make cool software applications like Doom
    3. Computer Engineering - Also the best. It's like #1 and #2 put together. This is my undergrad degree
    4. Mechanical Engineering - It's good. You learn how to make physical objects. Like a missile housing, or a watch band.
    5. Civil Engineering - It's kinda boring. You learn how to make targets for the bombs to hit. Things like bridges and roads.
    6. Industrial Engineering - these people dont really do anything but they like to call themselves engineers.
    7. System Engineers. - People like to hire these people for some reason but really the EE/CS/ME's can all do their job too. Kinds worthless imo

• drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    business or accounting your pretty much stuck to a desk.
    Hey! I like my desk!
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    business or accounting your pretty much stuck to a desk.
    Hey! I like my desk!
    some people do, some people cant sit still for more then 5 minutes and i wouldnt recommend those type of people to get desk jobs
    Probably numbers 3 or 4
    As an Electrical Engineer, I can say that I have respect for Mechanical Engineering. I feel it's legit.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    go to xavier!

and desk jobs can lick my ballz
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    whichever you choose, good luck, Apey
    imageimage