Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Candlelight Vigil Held For Dog Killed By DC Police Officer.

Behemoth24Behemoth24 Posts: 469 salt miner
edited October 2011 in Off Topic
WASHINGTON - Nearly a hundred people showed up in the pouring rain to remember a dog killed by a D.C. police officer.

Parrot, a Shar-Pei and Pit Bull Mix, was shot after a fight with a smaller dog Sunday during the Adams Morgan Day Festival. The dog was even defended by the Washington Humane Society.

"It shows that we still have so much more to do in educating people on what Pit Bulls really are,’ said Scott Giacoppo of the Washington Humane Society. ’The true nature of the breed is not aggressive. It's not a killing machine.’

Pet lovers prayed for the dog and days after the shooting, the anger and sadness remain.

His foster owner remembers a kind dog.

"Parrot loved to be petted. Parrot would prance down the middle of the street when some stranger would come up to pet him, and he would immediately roll over on his back and try to extort some sort of belly rub from them. He was an amazing dog,’ said tearful foster owner Aaron Block.

On Thursday night, three foster parents shared a different story about the pet.

D.C. Police say he was aggressive, but the Lucky Dog Animal Rescue Organization says he often appeared at community adoption events and was gentle. The group is not sure what happened between the two dogs. The rescue group says the shooting was tragic and was unwarranted. Many still can't believe it happened.

"Dogs have rights, too, just like people do. The dog was unjustly shot and killed and the story is not completely correct and people don't know the whole truth," said Lisa Schreiber of Lucky Dog Animal Rescue.

The drama unfolded this weekend at the Adams Morgan Festival. A poodle named Sushi and Parrot got into a fight. Accounts differ but it ended with the smaller dog suffering bites and broken bones.

Officer Scott Fike threw Parrot down a stairwell. He says the dog was charging, but witnesses say the dog's owner had him under control before police arrived.

Many believe he was shot because he was a Pit Bull Mix.

"We lost Parrot in a horrible, horrible tragedy,’ said Mirah Horowitz, Executive Director of Lucky Dog Animal Rescue. ’But his death is only the first chapter in a story of awareness, compassion and understanding that we will all continue to write."

Rescue organizations say the breed gets a bad rap. They hope the shooting doesn't stop people from adopting animals like Parrot.

"Hopefully it doesn't, but it might deter some people from going into a rescue to adopt a dog, especially a Pit Bull, if they’re given false information about what these animals are like. That’s unfortunate because all these animals are great dogs and they need a second chance," said Schreiber.

Some witnesses say it was the poodle named Sushi that started biting first. FOX 5 also has learned that Parrot was taken from the Baltimore Animal Shelter by Lucky Dog Rescue a day before he supposed to be euthanized, only to be shot weeks later.

There's also a video on the page if anyone wants to see it.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/dc/candlelight-vigil-held-for-dog-killed-by-dc-police-officer-091610

Comments

• streetsstreets Posts: 3,351 just the tip
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    this made me cry
    imageimage
  • Behemoth24Behemoth24 Posts: 469 salt miner
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    8-|
    b-(
    problem?
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    8-|
    Just because you have police in your family doesn't mean you have to be a twat. I have police in my family as well and usually can find a way to defend the actions taken however is this case there is no excuse for what the officer did. He went in with the midst of I'm going to kill this dog and that is what he did. If you look in the other thread there is a picture of the dog being held down by the officer BEFORE the officer decided to take the dog and throw it down a flight of steps. If the dog is being held down why does the officer feel the need to throw it down steps? There is no reason. Had he not been able to control the dog and put him down with a shot that would be one thing but to first put it on the ground then get ahold of it then throw it down the stairs that's what screams this officer was just being malicious and already had his mind on killing the dog. You will never see me say " fuck cops" or anything along those lines but on this one I feel somebody should retaliate on this officer for doing the things he did. He is no better than a mike Vick in my mind right now. He is just a piece of trash.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    This just crossed my mind....

When someone kills a police dog that person is charged with murder. Therefore, while not a police dog, it's no different in my eyes, this piece of shit should be charged with murder.
    8-|
    b-(
    problem?
    i was rolling my eyes because it's a dog. this one is no different than the others.
    8-|
    b-(
    problem?
    i was rolling my eyes because it's a dog. this one is no different than the others.
    so in your mind, all dogs dont deserve ome kind of respect?
    im guessing youre the type of person who thinks 'oh theyre just animals'
    in which case, youre such trash
    imageimage
    no im not one of those people. i was rolling my eyes because people are making this dog out to be some sort of importance when this dog was no different than any other.
    it was different because a cop killed it just for the sake of killing it
    it was completely innocent and subdued
    imageimage
    no im not one of those people. i was rolling my eyes because people are making this dog out to be some sort of importance when this dog was no different than any other.
    So you think cops should just be allowed to walk around pickin off dogs whenever they feel cause its "just a dog"?

Streets<_>
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,393 spicy boy
    Oh so if a cop kills a homeless person, its ok right? They arent of any importance. Dont be a fucking idiot.
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,202 mod
    I'll just get the tea and cigarettes ready.

• XenoXeno Posts: 21,007 master of ceremonies
    Oh so if a cop kills a homeless person, its ok right? They arent of any importance. Dont be a fucking idiot.
    Feed me a stray cat.
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,393 spicy boy
    Make a pop tart and shut your whore mouth.
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    Maybe I don't see the big deal, the dogs were fighting, what choice did he have? Break up the fight with his hands and risk getting attacked himself? Or would you all rather have weapons that are non lethal to humans tested on dogs to make sure they are also non lethal to them, either way people would be mad. If you were watching a human murder take place would you get in the middle of it and throw away three lives or kill the murderer and get rid of one? You wouldn't have to ask me twice.
    This was a totally different situation though. The dog's owner already had the dog subdued, there was no need for the cop to get involved! As I have stated before, he had every intention of killing the dog and that's what he did.
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    This was a totally different situation though. The dog's owner already had the dog subdued, there was no need for the cop to get involved! As I have stated before, he had every intention of killing the dog and that's what he did.
    To be honest I didn't read it all and didn't read that. Ya the cop is very wrong in that situation.