Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

So I've got a mystery...

LiveFreeDieLiveFreeDie Posts: 8,050 destroyer of motherfuckers
edited April 2011 in Off Topic
So I've had this Dallas cowboys mini helmet digital clock in my room as long as I can remember and I have NEVER changed the batteries in it and it still works perfect. But here's the kicker this thing was made in 1991 and like I said it still works and I have never changed the batteries.

How the fuck does that happen?
Death is not the worst of evils. You can't be down, when you're always high.

Comments

• OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    :-? Sounds like a job for

The Hardly Boys!
    I love winning with women
  • Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
    it's plugged in?
  • myplagueRobmyplagueRob Posts: 1,375

The Hardly Boys!
    Are you getting a clue right now?
  • LiveFreeDieLiveFreeDie Posts: 8,050 destroyer of motherfuckers
    it's plugged in?
    Haha, nope.

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    they probably designed the electronics very carefully. I could probably design a clock like that. Most of the time though, electronics are hacked together by designers who dont give a fuck about power.
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    Ask Inspector Gadget.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    This one time, I got such a raging clue that I shot clue goo all over Joe.
    I love winning with women
  • Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers

The Hardly Boys!
    Are you getting a clue right now?
    I'm getting a RAGING clue
    But really.... 20 years on the same batteries??? I feel like I should call guinees book of world records.
    you'd be surprised how much power can be saved if the designer is concerned about using as little as possible. Most of the time though, it is all about making a product as fast and cheap as possible that works. Power usage is rarely considered. They really only consider that shit when it is using so much power that the thing is going to blow up or melt.

and even then, so companies ship that garbage anyways. case in point- Xbox and their fucking red ring of death. Why did that happen? They didnt care about power and the thing is a heat monster. PS3 on the other hand runs ice cold... they cared about power.
    But really.... 20 years on the same batteries??? I feel like I should call guinees book of world records.
    yes. possible. how many batteries and what type?
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    My dad got a black light when he was 15. Then gave it to my brother when he was like 14, which the original bulb. Bulb just died a month ago. It lasted 35 years.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    Honestly i'm not sure. There is a screw on the bottom of the clock which I could open but I really don't want to do anything that might make it stop working.

If I had to make a guess I would say they are triple a batteries inside. I probably will end up opening it at somepoint as curiosity always seems to get the better of me.

• SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
    Honestly i'm not sure. There is a screw on the bottom of the clock which I could open but I really don't want to do anything that might make it stop working.

If I had to make a guess I would say they are triple a batteries inside. I probably will end up opening it at somepoint as curiosity always seems to get the better of me.

well if you do find out, we can calculate how much power they have used assuming they die today. and the longer they last the better the number will get.

• TimTim Posts: 2,441 admin
    they probably designed the electronics very carefully. I could probably design a clock like that. Most of the time though, electronics are hacked together by designers who dont give a fuck about power.
    Is there anything you can't do?! Plugins, Forums, Clocks...

You can't explain that
    there are some who call me... tim?
  • Shanez_WifeShanez_Wife Posts: 2,008 just the tip

You can't explain that
    Fix my laptop that for some reason decides to hate me.
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited April 2011

You can't explain that
    :-)) I think you are pulling my chain. I am just an electronics designer. I've designed electronics for several satellites currently in geo orbit, which is one of the more difficult areas to design electronics for. To test my electronics, I often have to write software programs or scripts to automate the testing.

I'm sure you are a much better message board designer and plugin designer then I would be. You do it for a living! and I have never done it. But you know how programming is... you learn one language and you pretty much know them all (or you do with a little online language reference manual).

:-D
  • TimTim Posts: 2,441 admin

:-)) I think you are pulling my chain. I am just an electronics designer. I've designed electronics for several satellites currently in geo orbit, which is one of the more difficult areas to design electronics for. To test my electronics, I often have to write software programs or scripts to automate the testing.

I'm sure you are a much better message board designer and plugin designer then I would be. You do it for a living! and I have never done it. But you know how programming is... you learn one language and you pretty much know them all (or you do with a little online language reference manual).

:-D
    Just teasing you :p

But I agree about the whole "learn one language, know them all". Nothing about school pissed me off more than "learning java". Just teach programming concepts in general. Thx.

The idea of designing hardware for satellites is pretty fokken sweet though. I assume theyre communications satellites?
    there are some who call me... tim?